Wednesday, 28 May 2008

why why why why can i not be bothered

When i started my phd i loved it to bits. I could talk about it forever, i loved talking about it, i got asked to speak at conferences about it but now three years on - i still love it. But in a old married couple type way. If i was in a relationship with my phd, i would say we have gone past the 'cant keep our hands off each other phase', but have got the stage of 'if you fart once more i am dumping you'. I think its probably because I need to give the relationship more of a chance and give it some more time. But other prospects are looking more attractive like going out for coffee or facebook. I think i am confessing my undying love for something other than my phd and that is facebook. I am committing adultery. I don't think I can see my relationship with my PhD through as its just getting too challenging,but the time will come when I would have grown out of my PhD and it would be just another notch in the bedpost, but a bloody big one. I am hoping with the help of a relationship counsellor to move forward and start feeling more empathetic towards the phd and realise that we can having a loving fruitful relationship, rather than one which is full of thorns and lots of references. Until then anytips on how to rekindle my relationship with my phd would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice analogy Rees. I think you an your PhD should go on a steamy weekend. Lock yourself in a hotel room, tie your PhD to the bed and have you way with it.

You took the comparison a little far. As you're going to finish your PhD in 3-4 years, you know when the end point is. in a relationship it's much more fluid.

Just keep at it. The finish line is in sight. You've done the hard part - you just have to tell the world about it!