I really thought that I was going to fail. I was shocked that I didn't. If I was more confident I would have enjoyed the discussion within the viva because it was a good discussion. The hardest question was 'what are you most proud of?'. When I went into the viva, I was not proud of my work and what I had achieved. I just didn't think it was good enough. But the examiners were lovely and by the end of the viva, I felt I had achieved alot whilst doing my PhD.
I think to PhD students who are writing up... make sure you take pride in your contributions and what you have found and that will automatically want you to write it all up well... I lost perspective and passion.
I also felt I didn;t have enough data... but the examiners felt I had alot of data. It just goes to show that a students perception of a PhD is totally different to what the examiners perception is.
Writing up my thesis was really difficult and the viva was the most nerve wracking thing ever. If you know me... you will know that I could talk to forever on my work - but at this time.... I was just speechless.
I keep thinking they're going to take the doctorate away from me... and they still can if I don't get the corrections done - but I now feel like I deserve the PhD so I am going to work my ass off to make it into a well written thesis to do justice to the data I have collected.
I got alot of support from my friends, supervisor and collegues. They all came out and celebrated with me and I really appreciated that - it was probably one of the best nights ever.

1 comment:
I only just read this post, but I wanted to reiterate -- we're all SO proud of you. Well done :D You have achieved so much x
Post a Comment