This morning the head of my research group emailed us and suggested a blog of some sort should be kept. I remembered I had one so I'm updating this! So lets start with: THE THESIS
The Thesis
I feel the progress on my thesis isn't amazing. I am on nominal. I went through the things that all PhD students go through (admittedly quite late) in feeling that i didn't know what I was doing, feeling lonely and just hating the thing. Well i am still not best friends with my thesis but I feel we have reached an understanding! I split up my theory and context chapter but I am now thinking of putting the bits together again. It just did not work. My laptop has broken so my Hardrive is on my shelf. I need same data off it so that's slowed things down ALOT. This also means I have to work in the lab which can be difficult. I am going to stop now and go on to the next section which is to talk about ECSWomen.
ECSWomen
ECSWomen has been going from strength to strength and we have now got sponsorship from Accenture. Since my last post, we have held a pizza party, ECSW coffee and cake and are due to hold: girl geek dinners, Linux Workshop, Womenintechnology.co.uk jobs workshop. In February we are hoping to get Dr Sue Black to come to ECS to give a talk on the saving bletchley park project. I am not chair this year, but just mentoring, helping and lots of other things.
LSL
Life in the lab is cool. DSSE have moved to the new mountbatten building, which is a bit sad as we all miss them. We recently went out as a group on a ghostwalk and dinner to catch up with Chris and Chu. I am also trying to organise a trip to Bletchley. Breakfasts are going strong... although at the moment we seem to have people from other research groups rather than ours! This is always good as we get to talk to other people. Our christmas party is at the White Star. Again I'm helping out with organisation of activities and things like that.
Murder Mystery
I am organising a murder mystery for FESM. Its aim is to train pgs and postdocs in outreach. So we are giving them money to make murder mystery puzzles. We have amazing projects like lie detectors, robots and great things like that! It SOOO COOL! I'll be talking loads about that in the future. Its quite good as we had to write a bid to do this and we got 40k for it!
My Life?!
I am currently trying my best to finish my thesis ... but distractions do get in the way. I am also thinking about what I want to do if I ever bother to finish my PhD. Well I hope to finish. The main dilemma is if I want to stay in Southampton or go else where. If I go /stay what do I do?! Will I be good enough?! Questions questions questions...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Let me know if you still need data off your Laptop Hard disk, I'm sure I can find some way of hooking it up to a working computer... :)
Post a Comment