I think Ada Lovelace Day is an amazing idea. It brings women in computing to the forefront and unites bloggers around the world. I hope it carries on next year.
When I first heard about this I thought it wouldn't catch on - but it has. The reason why I thought it wouldn't catch on because I take for granted that I know some of the most amazing women in technology! I am lucky enough that one of my supervisors is the fabulous Professor Dame Wendy Hall. Check her out - shes one of the most inspiring and energetic people who my friends and I know. I am also lucky enough to know the amazing Dr Sue Black. Sue Black founded the notorious BCSWomen group, which supports women in computing. The women on these groups are role models themsevles. They are an inspiration by being in technology and showing the world they mean business. I am also surrounded by the wonderful and charasmatic people in ECSWomen.This group was created to support women within the school of electronics and computer science. The group holds monthly events which are fun, inspirational and supportive. ECSWomen cover all women in ECS. So I guess I am really lucky to be surrounded by these amazing people. Its difficult to name and decribe just one.
I just want to emphasise to teachers, educators and kids that women in computing are not a rare breed of people who only come out at night on their laptops. I want to mention an initiative which tries to reach out to kids in the UK which is computer clubs for girls. This initiaive tries to dispell myths and urban ledgends about jobs in computing. This scheme is being evaluated to help understand how much of an impact it has on career decisions. Project info is available at http://www.education.soton.ac.uk/research/field_projects/?link=project_details.php&id=176
And is led by my advisor Professor Alison Fuller. Who is a professor in the school of education and is an inspiration to many. Its important that women in computing take part in these schemes, go to their local schools and talk about their fantastic careers.
Ada Lovelace day has made me think that we should use the information from this day and send it out to schools and to young people so *they* are aware of women in computing. The women I have mentioned are on my door step (whether at the uni or online!). They actually exist and aren't boring This blogging day has given us a voice - but we need to capitalise on this and keep shouting... !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think to achieve equality in computing between men and women, all these women in computing groups should be abolished. These groups put us women into a special position... why?? Can't we just prove that we are just as good and successful in computing as men by just working as equals?
I really don't like this women in technology/computing movement. There's no need for it in my opinion. It just puts women in a special role... and all I can do is ask myself why? ... what's so special about a woman in computing? Why is it different to a man in computing?
I think thats a fair point. I think this blogging day does prove we are just as successful as males are.
I (as well as many others) believe we should talk about womens achievements so people know, people as in future generations. We need to dispell the myth that computing is a geeky career just for the boys and this is one way of doing this.
We aren;t different or special in comparison to men - there just aren't alot of us. We need a diverse workforce in technology as we are creating tools/applications/etc for a diverse range of people. Diversity = creativity.
Post a Comment