Tuesday, 12 February 2008

what shall I be when I grow up?!

This is a question that is forever buzzing around my head....'what shall i be when i grow up?'. I went to a careers fair today that was held by ECS (the school of electronics and computer science), which had the biggest congregation of IT organisations I'd ever seen (and believe me I've been to ALOT of these events). I got to speak directly to HR Managers and even a CEO (albeit of a small organisation). This reinforced the reputation of the school and the demand of high quality graduates such as those from ECS.

All this has made me wonder, think, reflect and contemplate what I should do when I finish my PhD (yes believe me that day WILL come...it has to!). I think I would like to stay in academia, I love the atmosphere and the way of life. I also love research, I am learning so much and the challenges that I am coming across in my PhD are stimulating but I love it. I like ECS so I'll be sad when I have to leave :-(

I have actually been approached by a number of people in the university to stay on and do work for them. This is great as it means that my work is being recognised externally. So I have a number of options that I really need to sit down and think about. Ideally my dream job will be in the States. But I think my plan is to get my PhD, stay on in ECS as long as I can, do these other bits and bobs that people want me to do and publish papers and write grant proposals.

There is no actual point to this post apart from random ramblings about my thoughts for the future. I think about the future alot more at teh moment, being surrounded by upcoming technology and means i am surrounded by the future so I guess its natural for me to think like this.

Again sorry for the ramblings!!! But if anyone has any career advice or job offers then feel free to post!

No comments: